Suppose one early morning, you have discovered a number of pimples on your skin. What will be your reaction?
Most of you may conclude the answer by saying, ‘Yeh, I will go to a skin care clinic.’ Well, think about the events when you found yourselves lost or get depressed. Do you go to the psychiatrists to solve these depressing situations that you have suffered frequently?? With a confusing reaction, you might have said, ‘No, I don’t think I have reached the level to worry’!
When it comes to mental health, we don’t actually think much about it. Starting a horrible day is often seen in your Instagram story, but this sad narrative may be one of the primary reasons for not being heart-healthy in life.
In this world, you can find many who feels shy about visiting psychiatrists to ask for help. But the thing is, this shyness or unconsciousness generates mental disorders in patients worldwide. Around 26 percent of Americans aged 18 and older, or it can say almost one in every four individuals – have a diagnosable mental illness in any other given year. Even one person can suffer more than one mental disorder at a time. And the situations are more devastating as days pass, causing mortality in a community. In addition, you may have been surprised to know that the majority who commit suicide also have diagnostics mental conditions such as depressive disorder or drug addiction.
However, if you think you are already leading a healthy lifestyle, then hold on a second. Unfavorable conditions like covid can also raise your stress level. Even when the situation compared to before pandemic, over half of the parents (48%) reported increasing daily stress to their life. After hearing, you may try to recall a common OTC drug name or search for some healthier alternatives, right?
There are numerous successful solutions for overcoming mental disease or stress and anxiety problems. Recently, relaxation techniques have been discovered as a beneficial solution to relieve daily stress and gain popularity over other OTC medicines.
Relaxation Techniques and Mental Health
So, what are these relaxation techniques, and how does this relate to mental health?
In stressful situations, there’s one complex mechanism that our body goes through. Guess what? It’s none other than a flight or fight response. During this situation, conditions such as increased heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing pace may have been seen. Besides that, events like increased cholesterol levels, decreased intestinal activities, and weak immune systems are also monitored. However, these complex event is not over yet.
Another phrase is similarly linked to the fight or flight response, which is our body’s relaxation reaction, initially termed by Harvard cardiologist Herbert Benson. According to Herbert, the relaxation response causes our bodies to fall into a deep state, resulting in lower blood pressure, heart rate, muscular tension, and pace of breathing, as well as sensations of peace and control. To achieve this level of relaxation, there are various strategies available for clamming the brain and minimizing stress. But still, many of you may be asked what health experts say about its beneficial effect on mental health? The answer is more promising than expected.
People react to stress in a variety of ways, including feeling overwhelmed, sad, or both. These relaxation techniques are a strategy or procedure frequently used as part of a more extensive stress management program. They can reduce symptoms such as muscular tension, lower blood pressure, calm heart and breathing rates, with other health advantages.
After a long day of stress, you may use these relaxation techniques on your own or with someone’s assistance. In studies, various types of relaxation techniques already show promising output for alleviating numerous chronic health issues. Which also helps to boost energy. You may have read that 50 million individuals in the United States suffer from chronic pain. This pain raises the possibility of sleep problems, depression, and disability occurrences.
However, scientific studies have shown that relaxation techniques may be effective pain relievers when used regularly and consistently. Furthermore, these special procedures offer anti-disease properties. You can look at the results of Deep breathing, gradual relaxation, and visualization, which improved the immune response in breast cancer patients. Aside from illnesses, mental conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder, meditation can be utilized as a part of a therapy plan. Even those who suffer from anxiety can also benefit from these relaxation techniques since they lessen anxiety, sadness, phobias, and concern. Yet, experts advise combination approaches like relaxation, mindfulness, and hypnotherapy with cognitive behavioral therapy, which may help to minimize mental health conditions.
Types of Relaxation Techniques
After knowing everything, you may have started practicing all relaxation techniques just from google help, right? The same size of shoes is not fitting to all; like shoes, all relaxation techniques will not work for all. The reason can be our complex human brain, which is responsible for individuals’ different physiological reactions. In response to this, there are several relaxation techniques are available such as:
1. Breathing exercise: Breathing exercise, which is quite simple to adapt. Apart from feeling calmer, this activity will also make you feel energetic and rejuvenated.
2. Visualization: Besides breathing, some may find it comforting to visualize happy memories that one can never forget. In addition, visualization helps relax your body and calm your mind to relieve stress.
3. Progressive muscle relaxation strategies: Some of your friends may have been looking for a technique that involves reducing tension throughout your body while calming any anxious thoughts. Consultation with a health coach; your friends may use progressive muscle relaxation strategies to treat their condition. It entails tightening and releasing various muscle groups in order to alleviate physiological stress, which may be a practical option to use.
4. Autogenic training approaches: Others can utilize autogenic training approaches, in which an individual imagines a tranquil environment and then concentrates on distinct bodily sensations, progressing from the feet to the head. During this approach, both visual image and physical awareness are used, which induce a profound state of relaxation in a person.
5. Meditation and yoga techniques: Again, who else doesn’t know the health benefits of meditation and yoga techniques? Mindfulness and Mantra meditation are found to be the most effective strategies for enhancing concentration. Many people, however, use alternative approaches such as Biofeedback, Massage therapy, Music therapy, or aromatherapy as a matter of personal preference. In recent times flotation treatment has gained popularity in the United States. It has been found to relieve pain and tension by releasing endorphins, a chemical released by our brain to decrease stress or pain.
While maintaining a healthy lifestyle, mental health is still a somewhat leftover topic of concern. Moreover, like physical health, mental health can be an equally important factor that helps erase the risk of many diseases. It will always be better for anyone to practice safe procedures like relaxation techniques over medicine’s toxicity to reduce stress or anxiety. For safety counts, relaxation techniques are thought to be a handy alternative to follow, but consulting with health specialists is a must-have step before using any. So what are your thoughts about relaxation techniques? Did you already try some of these?