After two weeks of absence, James finally reaches university to attend the chemistry exam. While submitting the answer script, his teacher asked him why he was absent for the last two weeks, saying, ‘Hey, James! Why didn’t you show up in the last two weeks? Ohh. I just remembered. Yes, I got your sick application. Is everything okay now??
In response to the question, James told his teacher that he was dehydrated for a couple of weeks. And the condition got so severe that he had to get admitted to the hospital. After a short discussion, the teacher asked, ‘Dear James, do you know how much water you should drink per day??’ James said, ‘NO, I don’t. Is there a link between getting sick and not drinking enough water?? Replying to James, the teacher told him to go back and rest. He will continue the discussion in the next class. Like others, many of you want to know what happened in the following class discussion. Will James get an answer from his teacher?
After arriving the next day, the teacher asked all her student’s the same questions, just like she asked James. But guess what; maximum students didn’t know the exact amount of water they should drink per day. When most of the students gave negative answers, the teacher finally broke her silence and summarized the topic that people actually ignored.
Like in this class, many don’t bother about the importance of water and how it affects your health. And surprisingly, a human can survive for around three days without water. Our bodies require water to perform a variety of biological activities; however, about 1.1 billion people worldwide lack access to safe drinking water. Our bodies are formed of this colorless, transparent, odorless liquid, which is one of the primary constituents of mother earth.
How Does This Water Affect Our Bodies?
Water makes up 75 percent of an infant’s body weight and 55 percent of an older person’s body weight, which is required for cellular equilibrium and survival. Aside from homeostasis, it keeps your body’s tissues wet, protects your spinal cord, plus it also functions as a lubricant and cushion for your joints.
Our body water is responsible for regulating and maintaining numerous bodily functions. A true example can be the removal of waste. During this event, water allows your kidneys to remove waste from your blood by a common event known as urination.
Aside from that, many people suffer from digestive disorders, and the number is growing daily. Water plays a critical role in resolving these difficult issues. The research found that drinking water before, during, and after a meal helps your body break down the food you consume more readily.
Lastly, besides transporting nourishment and oxygen throughout the body, water performs other excellent functions such as increasing energy and fighting off disorders like urinary tract infection (UTI), hypertension, kidney stones, and constipation.
After knowing all of these facts, you might wonder, what’s the perfect amount of water you should intake. The answer is quite simple. It’s essential to drink water throughout the day, as every day, you lose water through your breath, sweat, urine, and bowel movements.
Reports available in the Institute of Medicine stated that sufficient water consumption for adult men and women is 3.7 and 2.7 liters per day, respectively. At the same time, 80% of total daily water consumption should come from beverages, like water itself, caffeinated drinks, even alcohol. And the remaining 20% from your daily food like veggies or fruits.
Though you may get this water from various sources, the CDC recommends that people can drink water from healthier alternatives such as low or no-calorie beverages and drinks with critical nutrients. You may wonder why? Calcium, potassium, and vitamin D are all found in these low-fat or fortified milk. Who hasn’t heard about the benefits of these essential nutrients for your heart? However, just as a coin has two sides, drinking too much water has inevitable negative consequences. Though water intoxication is uncommon, it may be fatal sometimes.
As a universal solvent, water does numerous beneficial jobs to save human life. Conditions like running a fever, having diarrhea, or vomiting, extra cautions are mandatory. Because in these times, your body needs more water than usual. Who else wants to feel sick? No one, right? So, follow guidelines, drink plenty of water, and avoid the health risks.